The War of Art by Steven Pressfield is a must-read for anyone looking to get ahead in life, whether you're an artist or in business. The book provides a fresh perspective on the creative process and the obstacles that prevent us from pursuing our passions.
Let me break it down for you and give you some key takeaways that you can apply to your own life:
- Resistance is real, and it's a force that holds us back from pursuing our passions. It's not just external factors like other people or circumstances, but also internal ones like fear, procrastination, and self-doubt.
- To be successful, you have to be consistent and disciplined in your efforts. You have to have the courage to face resistance head-on and overcome it. It's not always going to be easy, but it's necessary if you want to achieve your goals.
- Being an artist or pursuing a creative endeavor comes with its own set of challenges, what the author calls the "sorrows of the artist." These challenges include periods of disappointment, frustration, and self-doubt. But the key is to embrace these challenges and keep pushing forward.
- Success in the arts or in business shouldn't be defined by commercial success or recognition. It should be about personal fulfilment and the love of what you do. When you love what you do, success will naturally follow.
- Finally, the author believes that we all have the capacity to create, and that the act of creation is a spiritual one. So, don't let anyone tell you that you're not creative!
Now, let's talk about how these principles apply to business. In the business world, resistance takes on different forms, like procrastination, indecision, or fear of failure. But the key takeaways from the book are still relevant.
- Overcome resistance: Recognise and overcome the resistance that's holding you back in business. Don't let fear of taking risks or fear of failure keep you from making progress.
- Consistency is key: Success in business requires consistent effort and discipline. Set your goals, create a plan, and take action towards those goals, even in the face of resistance.
- Embrace challenges: Business is full of challenges, but it's important to embrace them and use them as opportunities for growth and development.
- Focus on personal fulfillment: Don't get caught up in the pursuit of commercial success or recognition. Focus on personal fulfillment and the love of what you do.
In conclusion; The War of Art is for anyone looking to cultivate a productive and successful mindset. The principles outlined in the book can be applied to both the arts and business, helping you overcome resistance and achieve your goals.
Go ahead and give it a read!